Tuesday, June 11, 2013

On the writer of the Adorn Blog: It's all about ME... and Adorn, of course!

      Ever have one of those mornings where you go to make coffee and then all that comes out is water. You investigate and try to figure out what happened, assuming the machine is faulty, only to discover that you never put in the actual coffee? Or one of those weeks where you spend all this time making a stop motion film only to have your whole system crash and then lose all that hard work you just put in?

     Well the last part is pretty specific to me and what I've just experienced, but hopefully you can sympathize. The best thing anyone can do when everything goes awry, is to take a deep breath and move on. At which point, I realized, we haven't been formally introduced. By now, it's obvious (hopefully) that Adorn has a designated person for their social media and web marketing, but who is this web woman?? If you have been loyal clients of Adorn you will absolutely know me because I have been in and around Adorn for some time, but for those of you who don't. Here's my story:

     I started working at Adorn when I was 16. Rebecca is a good friend of my family and my sister-in-law and I would come to her to get our hair cut together. On one of these trips, I was telling Rebecca all about my job search woes - because we all know a hairstylist doubles as therapist, life coach, confidence and friend - and Rebecca, being the kind of person that genuinely wants to help people any way she can, told me to drop off a resume. She told me to just write down references and past job experience in whatever way I wanted. I remember being so excited I left and wrote in pencil on a piece of notebook paper all the tiny jobs I'd had before then and I put my sister-in-law as a reference. I returned in less than an hour and that was pretty much the beginning. I started mainly sweeping hair and watching the phones after I got out of school at 3:30 p.m. till about 7:00 p.m. a few days a week. I also watched Amy's son Oliver who was no more than two at the time. By summertime, I had gotten the knack of things, which was lucky because due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, I was the only receptionist for the better part of the summer and was essentially managing the salon at 16 until we got it figured out. This meant bridal bookings, phone consultations, email correspondence, general salon maintenance, and booking artists to hang monthly.

   I used to train receptionists that were five to ten years my senior and absolutely school them on the job because it has been such a great part of my life for so long. A few regarded me with a smirk at first until they realized how much experience I had at Adorn and how much I was capable of.

    For every landmark of my teenage and adult life, Adorn has been there. They were at my graduation party when I graduated high school. When I was 19, I took a semester abroad in Sweden, Rebecca had a fundraiser to help me pay for my trip. Before I moved to NYC, It was the folks at Adorn that counseled me and helped me with my application letters to the college that I went to there.

   Now that I am out of college, Rebecca has let me have this job that utilizes the Culture and Media Bachelor's degree I earned. So, if anyone is wondering who I am and why I'm always hanging around the salon. Now you know, I'm the Adorn mascot, the baby of the family, and the one that posts on here as much as I can. I'm still figuring it out, so if you ever have any suggestions on what content you would like to see on here email us at: adornasheville@gmail.com.



Here's an example of the video stuff I did in college: 






And here I am:

Hopefully, there will be some stop motion to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment