Saturday, February 22, 2014

Introducing Adorn's New Salon Manager: Sara Brooks!

Adorn salon has hired a brand new salon manager and we are so excited to introduce her! Sara Brooks has quickly adapted to the challenges of the job and brought her own creative flair to the table! We wanted to get to know her better and we knew you would too!




You say on your website that you started bookbinding in a nook between your kitchen 
and your living room. Was this something you did on a whim or had you been thinking of 
bookbinding for a while?

In high school, I made and sold a ‘zine for several years. Then in college, I took a bookmaking
class geared towards photographers. I was totally hooked. The process of cutting, pasting,
sewing, folding was very rewarding. I was combining my love of photography, writing, and
layout design all into one art form. When I was in school and teaching, I was making artist books and growing more interested in the book as an artistic medium. I had taken a few classes and workshops over the years, but never pursued it while in school. After I left academia and relocated to Asheville, I found myself without access to photography facilities. I needed a way to express my creativity that didn’t rely on studio equipment or a bundle of cash. To make a book, all I need is some paper, needle and thread.


What drew you most to upcycling books?

(Technically, I am not upcycling books, but making upcycled books. I take materials such as
paper and fabric that have been discarded or purchased from second-hand stores and build a
book. I don’t make a new book from an old book.)
I love the thrill of the hunt for a good bargain! Buying materials for my books is an excuse to go to thrifting. I can find interesting paper and cool vintage fabrics for super cheap. Using recycled materials not only make my books very unique (often one-of-a-kind) but also affordable for my customers. I feel good knowing that I am conserving resources and often saving materials bound for the landfill. For instance, I found a box of wedding invitations that were very tacky and of no real use anymore, but was able to salvage part of the paper and create about eight new books. I love the challenge of looking at a material and figuring out a creative re-use for it.



You have your MFA in photography, but follow a different path, why is that?

When I started photography, digital photography was still in its early stages. People were debating if digital images should be considered art or not! I was shooting film and loved being in the darkroom. The tactile nature of handling the film and touching the paper was deeply satisfying to me. With the rapid shift to digital photography, I found myself more in front of a computer. When I was in grad school, the art world was really into “hyper-real” photography and I was not. I guess you could say I become disenchanted with the art form. Also, photography is inherently expensive and wasteful. I am neither interested in keeping up with the latest technology, nor investing thousands of dollars into something that becomes obsolete within a few years. I am more interested in reusing and recycling materials and making something new from something old.



I also love the versatility of a book. Books in general have such a rich history and I think its important to continue a very old tradition. Original Brooks is my business name for books I create for everyday use, such as journals and sketchbooks. These books that are for sale allow me to develop my craftsmanship and skills as a bookbinder. I also create artist books that contain text and images which satisfy my creative artistic drive.



What is the hardest part about running your own business?

The hardest part for me is, well, the business part of it. Understanding taxes, marketing, and all the non-creative stuff! But I am learning and Asheville is full of resources to help me along the way.

What made you seek out Adorn?

While I love working in my studio at home, I need to get out and talk to people. I was looking for a place where I would be working with creative individuals and meet local people. Before Adorn, I worked in food and beverage at a hotel, so I rarely interacted with anyone from Asheville or who had similar creative pursuits.

What do you like most about working at Adorn so far?

Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. The environment is professional, yet relaxed. It fits me perfectly. I also love being in the heart of downtown where there is so much great energy.

Do you have a memory from your childhood that you think influenced your pursuit of a 
career in the arts?

I was an only child until 13, so I learned to entertained myself. My mother was an interior designer and she taught me early on about design. I also spent a lot of time with my grandmother whose creativity was in cooking. She had this drawer full of family photographs that I would sit hours on end sifting through. I would say more than anything, my childhood has influenced the art itself. Several bodies of my artwork are based on my memories of my grandmother.

What is your favorite place in Asheville?

The Goodwill Outlet for shopping.

The Vault for drinking.


To see more Original Brooks check out the website here

(All photos courtesy of Original Brooks website!)

2 comments:

  1. Like Original Brooks on facebook

    www.facebook.com/OriginalBrooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Really Very nice post Such a useful information thanks for sharing
    Skin whitening treatment in Delhi

    ReplyDelete