Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Botched Bangs: A story of regret

By Kimala Luna

                   I'm not sure what possesses me to cut my own bangs repeatedly when every single time I end up regretting it. I also can't believe that this occurred immediately after writing a post about children cutting their own hair and how these kinds of things are best left to the professionals. At any rate, I spontaneously decided a few days ago to cut my own bangs. Standing over the bathroom sink with scissors in hand, there is something almost cathartic about cutting off locks of hair. About halfway through, I realized that I wasn't only cutting my bangs very crooked, but also that they were way too short, regardless I continued to hack away at my hair believing that it would all turn out right in the end.
                Hats, headbands, bobby pins, and lots of hair product seemed the only options for my future until my hair grew out again. I came into work at Adorn on Tuesday morning and showed Amanda McKenzie what I'd done. She immediately insisted that I let her fix them.
               There are a few things about working in a hair salon that should have deterred me from trying to be a D.I.Y. stylist: The first being that Adorn offers free bang trims for clients and employees. This is a commonly utilized amenity amongst our clients who need bang trims in between cuts, it takes fifteen minutes total and it ensures that you leave with your dignity in tact. The second is that I've done this before and had to come in to have them fixed. At that time, I was appropriately shamed for how bad of a job I'd done, I knew I'd be shamed again. "Were you drunk?" Amanda McKenzie softly asked me this time around. No I wasn't drunk, but I did do that badly of a job. Lastly, I'm trying to grow out my dang bangs and this was a pretty big leap in the opposite direction of that goal.
             The moral of this small tale of misjudgment is that tending to one's own bangs is not a D.I.Y. activity, it's simply not worth it to do it that way, it's such an inexpensive thing to have done professionally that there really isn't any excuse for botching the job yourself.



Before Amanda McKenzie fixed me

After Amanda's help


No comments:

Post a Comment