Thursday, May 19, 2016

Get To Know Adorn > Stylist Amanda Rae

The fierce Amanda Rae


In our second installment of Get To Know Adorn, we bring you Amanda Rae, who might be from the North, but has most certainly found her home here in the South. And we are lucky she has also found her salon home with us, here at Adorn.

Enjoy!

_______________________

Q: So how long have you lived in Asheville and what brought you here?
Amanda Rae: I've been in Asheville since September of 2010. I fell in love with this magical place the first moment arrived when I visited for the first time, and felt it would be a perfect fit for me... So far, it's been that and so much more!



Q: You're a Native New Yorker! What would you say the first 3 differences that come to mind between living up north and living here?
Amanda Rae: People are much warmer and more welcoming here than up north... It's almost an entirely different mindset and mentality.
 
Coming from Syracuse which is the #1 city in the country for snow accumulation (averaging 181 inches a year), I've really grown to appreciate the seasons here.
 
Even though the Catskills and Adirondacks are gorgeous, nothing is quite like these... Plus the bonus of the beautiful parkway I often take my dog for car rides on and hike on trails with. 

Who's ready for a hike?




Q. How did you start doing hair and makeup, etc.? Was it something you were interested in as a kid?
Amanda Rae: I've been around it my entire life. My Aunt Marilyn owned her own shop for several years, where I used to love to go visit and hangout in as a kid... She eventually moved on to teaching Cosmetology. When the time came in high school to start thinking about what I wanted to do with my life it was extremely overwhelming and I wasn't sure which direction to even start thinking of, so at 16 I took Cosmetology and my aunt was my teacher. I guess you could say she's a very special and important part of my life and career.



Q: You have a unique style and obviously like styling in unconventional ways. What are some of your current inspirations when doing hair and makeup?
Amanda Rae: It's true. I've never lived inside the lines or in any type of box...the weirder the better! I love playing with theatrical makeup, and have been getting involved in local fashion shows hoping to eventually get on sets to do movies one day. Whenever I see something I've never done before, as far as hair is concerned, it's a challenge I feel like I need to take on and perfect it. It keeps things fun.
This photo of Maggie Edwards and her husband-to-be, Caleb Earwood, went viral last year. And Amanda Rae did her hair!



Q: You had a pretty famous moment happen not that long ago where you were a part of a very special wedding. Can you tell us about that experience and when it meant to you?

Amanda Rae: Yes! My friend Maggie Edwards, who I'd met while working in a salon in South Asheville, became a loyal client and when I made the move to Adorn, she still asked if I could do her hair for her wedding. The photo you're referring to, was when her husband to be, Caleb, wanted to say a prayer with her before the ceremony but didn't want to break tradition of not seeing each other beforehand. The picture the photographer captured was so captivating and beautiful. It ended up going viral and was shown on Good Morning America and was listed as one of the top 10 most memorable weddings of 2015!




Q. What has been one of your biggest Chair Challenges that really tested your skill as a stylist?
Amanda Rae: I would have to say the biggest challenge any stylist faces, including myself, is having to help bridge the gap between what a guest is telling you they're looking for, and what's realistic for their hair type and lifestyle. With the Internet, Photoshop, and Pinterest so many people get false illusions of what is achievable in a certain hair color or style with what their natural hair texture/density is. Also, trying to decipher whether the guest likes how that style looks on that person, or if they really think it will be good for them with their face shape, neck line, etc. These reasons are why thorough consultations are so important!




Q: Any celeb crushes right now? Girl or boy?

Amanda Rae: I will forever and always be madly in love with Jon Hamm ;)
 
We agree, Amanda Rae. Oh, we agree.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment