Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Getting Waxed By Holly Morrison






As you probably know by now, Adorn has a new esthetician, Holly Morrison. The lovely Holly became a member of the Adorn family just in time for shorts, skirt and dress season. I was quick to sign up for a leg wax because, like most busy women, I had grown a winter coat, so to speak... and was eager to shed it for the warm weather.
I am not a stranger to the process of waxing. Having been on the swim team in high school, I began getting waxed around that time and became hooked. Let’s face it, keeping those kinds of things maintained is a lot of work and waxing allows lazy ladies like me to go for up to three weeks without worry. However, since I have been getting waxed for such a long time, I have been exposed to several different kinds of wax and several different kinds of estheticians. Everything from messy d.i.y. experiments at home (not recommended, will end in tears) to fancy spas where prim and proper women pretend that they are not, in fact, dealing with your most private areas *ahem*, to bold asian women in Brooklyn who yell out orders like “Wider!” and “Hold this!” as they slap at your belly. I even had a friend tell me that she had gone to one of these Brooklyn women and afterwards the woman had given her an affectionate slap on her derriere. Yikes!
Holly was perfect! She was very no-nonsense and not bothered by the procedure - a waxer who genuinely enjoys waxing. I was first just going to get my legs done, but she had such a pleasant demeanor. The more that we talked the more comfortable I felt and I was lucky enough to catch her at a point in her day where she had enough time to do everything and so we did EVERYTHING. We currently have two kinds of wax being used for the waxing services we do - a hard wax and a soft wax. The hard wax is applied and then it hardens and is pulled off without using any strips - this is great for Brazilian and Bikini services. The soft wax is applied and then removed with strips - this is for legs, face, etc. When you go to an inexperienced aesthetician for something like a Brazilian and they are not versed in how to properly remove the wax, you are confronted with what it means to know true pain. I have definitely known this pain, but Holly is experienced and the pain for even the most tender areas was like night and day from any other time I’ve been waxed. There was almost no pain...I think I need to repeat that: THERE WAS ALMOST NO PAIN! It was awesome.
It’s no surprise that she won first place in 2012 for best esthetician in WNC. I feel like I want to hang a banner or yell from the rooftops how great the experience was. If you have found yourself with your own winter coat and aren’t sure what to do about it, I would highly recommend commissioning Holly and guarantee you won’t regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Holly has shaped my brows a couple of times and she's really great at what she does. So much better than DIY.

    ReplyDelete