Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Worst Haircut Ever Contest Update #2

A few more gems rolled in; here are two favorites from today. We're really enjoying reading your stories! Thanks to all who are writing in!

Chubby Bumpkin


When I was in the third grade, I was a little country and a little overweight for my age...such a sad combination. Buuuut, that's what you get growing up on the East coast. So my mom was always amazing about re-decorating my room and pushing me to well re-decorate myself and feel fresh and new. 

SO one day we went to the hair salon to get a fresh do in time for picture day (which is almost always a bad idea for the record) and I was insanely excited. I sat down and let the lady chop everything up nice mid-length, the way I usually would have it done. But on this particular day I got really excited and looked up at her and said, "shorter, shorter". Okay, she said to me, we'll go shorter. So she cut my hair just a little bit shorter and I smiled and cheesed at myself in the mirror, wanting to push the boundaries. So I looked up again and said, "shorter, let's go shorter". She smiled a little and looked at my mom and asked me if I was sure and I nodded my head. Well, this went on a few more times until I let this very sweet but very ridiculous lady for letting a third grade child tell her what to do (and yes I blame my mom as well). 

I left the salon that day with nearly no hair- boy short!! And as I mentioned I was overweight for my age (in which case you need more hair to frame your chubby little face). I got home and my brothers pointed and laughed in my face and I was distraught. I cried and cried and refused to go to school the next day. My mom eventually got me out the door after teasing my hair out the wazoo (Reba Macintyre was an inspiration in our house mmkay). My third grade school photo is a chubby me in a vest with cowboy boots on it with teased out boy short hair, eyes puffy from crying....and even recounting this story now, tears are streaming down my face.


Butchered Blond

My worst haircut experience was pretty traumatic for me! I had a brand new baby and decided I needed to do something about my hair, that I hadn't done anything with during my pregnancy.  I have very thick wavy, dark blonde, hair and at the time it was a little past my shoulders.  So, I went to a salon I had never been to before, explained to the guy doing my hair that I wanted blonde highlights and a trim.  When he took the towel off of my wet, freshly colored hair it was ALL white! I sat in shock and watched him trim my hair which kept getting more chopped up by the minute.  I finally started to cry and asked him to "please stop cutting my hair".  I could tell by the expressions on other customers faces that they were also shocked by how badly he had butchered my hair.  I went to the front desk in tears and asked if I was over reacting, and through their shocked faces I could tell I was not.  I looked like Debbie Harry with bedhead! Since I had to get home and nurse my baby, they had to reschedule me for the next day. I had to wear a hat to cover it out in public, and when I returned I ended up with a pixie cut because it had been so badly fried from the color and chopped up! They fired the guy too! It took about 2 years for my hair to grow back to it's previous length. 
Do you think you can top these ladies' stories? Write in an tell us all about it at adornasheville@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment