Thursday, April 11, 2013

Worst Haircut Ever Contest Update

We've really been enjoying reading some of the 'Worst Haircut Ever' contest submissions and thought y'all might like to take a peek too! Here's one of our favorites from the past two days:

 Worst Haircut Ever aka A Close Shave

I was fresh out of college and thrilled to be teaching English and Study Skills at a little college prep. boarding school in New Hampshire.  My duties there involved teaching 6 separate classes for grades 7-10, being an assistant dorm mother, monitoring evening study halls, directing various performances, and even coaching the high school girls’ basketball team.  I’ve always been the kind of girl who spent money on used books rather than clothes, makeup, or hair. That said, I have also always been a girl who cares about excellence in every area, like any self-respecting detail-obsessed English teacher.

The boarding school had a unique schedule, so my colleagues and I often ran personal errands before or between our classes.   One fateful Tuesday, I taught my first block class and then dashed into town to get a trim.  Now, I really should tell you that I had a wonderful hairdresser at this time who worked at a lovely Aveda salon.  So, there’s really no excuse for what happened next.  All I can say in my defense is that my wonderful thrilling first job paid only $8k/year and, at 20, I was as passionate about teaching as I was naïve about the amount of money I would need to live on my own.  It was a particularly tight month (in addition to low pay, some months that year, teachers didn’t get paid at all!), so I convinced myself that it made sense to save some money by walking into a place that advertised haircuts for $8. 

It was over before I could even process the “red flags”--or should I say, the red and white striped barber pole!  I can still hear the buzzing of that razor and recall the shock of not recognizing my newly shorn self in the mirror.  In a daze, I paid and drove back to teach.  That’s when the reality of my situation hit me.  8th graders are not known for tact!  Their looks of shock quickly turned into jokes about my “weed-wacked” hair and lack thereof.  Like any Grammar teacher worth her salt, I channeled their comments into sentences that we diagrammed on the board.  Sentences like, “It will grow back, right?”  followed by fragments like “Not soon enough!” 




No comments:

Post a Comment