Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mother's Day Winner! Nan Wise!

In May, we had a competition for our clients to write in and tell us about a time when you really appreciated your mom. Maria Wise wrote in with this touching story:

So I am the youngest child by far. My sister 11 yrs older and my brother, 10 ten yrs older. My brother was my hero, role model, etc. He was the brilliant, sensitive, loving, cool brother all little sisters hope for and the absolute apple of my mother's eye. My mom was shaken and worried when my perfect brother Came Out in the early 90's. But she handled it with grace and love, teaching the rest of us how to think about it. But when, a couple of years later, my Brother announced he had AIDS, it was too much for mom to handle, or so we thought. His passing was quick and he was courageous through it all. Mom flew to Burlington to be with him the last month and help his partner. She died along with him at first. She still has trouble, 19 yrs later talking about him, but she never misses an opportunity to Dine Out for Life each spring and proudly wear her red ribbon. She donates to WNCCAP and visits the AIDS quilt at Pack Square each winter. My mom, in a small little Applachian town, never hesitates to speak of her Wonderful son who died too early of AIDS. Here's to you Nan Wise!

We were honored to treat Maria and her mother to pedicures on us! Maria couldn't have said it better, "Here's to you Nan Wise!"


No comments:

Post a Comment